Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New TV Shows

American Gladiators – I was worried about this being terrible and I am happy to say that it’s as good as it was when I watched it as a kid. They brought back all my favorite events, including The Joust, Assault, Power Ball, Pyramid, Wall and Hang Tough. The Eliminator is still great although I don’t remember the contestants being so tired that they couldn’t finish it on the old show. The only event that I don’t like is one of the new ones called Hit and Run. In this event the gladiators throw 100 lb., giant medicine balls at the contestants while they run across a bridge in order to hit a buzzer on either side of the bridge. The problem with the event is that it’s too easy to dodge the balls. They need to get rid of this one.

The show is hosted by Hulk Hogan who I’m convinced is being paid by the brother. He’s really in his element and I couldn’t be happier with him being involved. The other host is Laila Ali and Muhammad Ali is currently rolling over in his grave. (Yes I know he’s not dead but I love the not-dead-yet celebrity/historical figure rolling over in their grave joke.) She’s pretty good though.

My two favorite Gladiators:

Wolf – He’s like a ‘roided up Ted Nugent. Just a lot of fun to watch.
Crush – By far the best looking female Gladiator. She’s also the best as far as the competition goes too.
Honorable mention goes to Titan for being the most-closeted Gladiator on the show.

My least favorite Gladiators:
Mayhem – He’s 6’7” 280 lbs. (or something like that) and he sucks.
Hellga – Although I do like her name, I thought the point of being a Gladiator was to be stronger and more athletic than the competitors. She’s neither. She’s just fat.

So if you haven’t watched it yet (shame on you) I would highly recommend this show to anyone, whether they watched it growing up or not.


Terminator – The Sarah Connor Chronicles – This shows isn’t very good. It's mostly just boring. Nothing really happened in the episode I watched last night and the actress who plays Sarah Connor just isn’t very interesting. She’s no Linda Hamilton


Reaper – Great Pilot. After that it went downhill fast. The love story sucks, the main character (Sam) is boring and the demons aren’t really that interesting. The only good things about the show are Sam’s friends, Ben (played by Rick Gonzalez) and Sock (played by Tyler Labine, doing the best Jack Black impersonation that I’ve ever seen), and the devil himself (played by the great Ray Wise). It’s unfortunate that the rest of the series hasn’t lived up to the pilot. I haven’t given up completely on the show though. I’m going to give it another shot when it comes back on the air after the writers strike.

2 comments:

Collins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Collins said...

i know we disagree about this, but i will reiterate that t:tscc could be WAY worse. and in a year like this (where the good shows are killed off by a writer's strike) anything new is better than nothing. plus summer glau is totally hot.

while it is true that lena headey is no linda hamilton (who is?), she is still pretty damn hot. and as was the case with michelle ryan (from bionic woman), actresses with british accents who try and go all mid-western for american audiences in sci-fi series reboots just don't work. i guess none of hamilton's personalities were available for the show...