Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Brother Bands

Tonight, my softball team was short on players because of injury. To avoid the ignonimity of a forfeit, we placed a call to solicit the services of my younger brother. And we enjoyed a rare non-loss as a result.

But strangely, even in celebrating our good fortune on the diamond, I had the realization that I had punched my younger brother in the face way more than I have punched any other human being.

I think that many brothers have a similar relationship. Love for one another. An understanding that can only come from sharing significant portions of genetic code. But, still, occasional tensions that can result in violence that would be unthinkable if perpetrated on a stranger.

Popular music has shown us plenty of brothers who are capable of great things together (like my brother and I did tonight in tying one of the better teams in my beer league). But those brothers have also often resorted to punching one another in the face.

In honor of the near triumphs of me and my brother on the softball diamond, I offer my opinions on the 5 best "brother bands" of all time.

5. The Black Crowes. I know, I know. They straddle the line between cool and completely shitty. But they may be (no joke) the best Rolling Stones ripoff band since the Faces. Plus, as native May-rettans, I have to throw Rich and Chris Robinson a little support.

4. Oasis. I guarantee Noel and Liam have punched each other in the face more often than my brother and I have. And in between those punches, they produced two classic albums, two pretty solid albums, and one very memorable performance on MTV unplugged.

3. The Replacements. Paul Westerberg may have steered the band (more or less) creatively. But the band was one of the best of their time. And they did feature a guitarist (Bob) and a bassist (Tommy) from the same parents.

2. The Kinks. An extremely underrated band, in my opinion. Ray and Dave Davies produced some of rock's most memorable, obnoxious guitar riffs; stunning, musically and thematically varied concept albums; and perhaps the greatest song ever written about a transvesite (except for Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like A Lady, which had a not-at-all ridiculous horn section).

1. Creedence Clearwater Revival. John and Tom Fogarty collaborated for only a few years, but it was long enough to produce one of rock musics more enduring catalogs. I know it is a bit trite, and I know that popularity does not prove quality. But everyone and their estranged cousin owns "Chronicle." Plus, if it is good enough for The Dude, it is good enough for me.

No comments: