Saturday, August 11, 2007

This is gay

Probably not a great topic to address out of the box. I have no intention of using this space to raise points that may in any way be socially constructive. But our carefully crafted poll question has made me think: is it okay to use the word gay pejoratively?

I like to consider myself culturally sensitive. But sometimes the 12 year old in the schoolyard comes out and I find myself using the word "gay" to describe something, when what i really mean is that thing sucks.

The Braves' bullpen is gay. "Hogan Knows Best" is gay. The new Michelob bottle is gay. I use the term offhanded all the time.

And I use these phrases and others like it to describe things negatively, even though they have no connection to homosexuality at all. Except maybe the Braves' bullpen. Tyler Yates, I am looking in your direction.

This is almost certainly very unfair. (By "this," I mean use of the word "gay" negatively. Not my unprovoked shot at a journeyman relief pitcher.) I bear absolutely no ill will towards homosexuals. I would never clumsily try to express that something sucked by saying it was "black," or "Asian," or anything along those lines.

So why is it okay to use the word gay?

I used to try to rationalize it all the time, by saying that I did not mean the word as a slur against homosexuals. But then I saw an interview with Eminem where he said the same thing, and he sounded like an ignorant dumbass. I realized then that I sounded like the same ignorant dumbass whenever I spouted similar drivel.

And instinctively, I tended to use that phrase less around my gay friends. That tells me that deep down, I probably realize that it is wrong.

Yet, I still occasionally use the word "gay" to indicate that something sucks, without any grand plan behind my saying it. It is a piercing, direct, and sometimes even a funny word to use.

But I am coming to the conclusion that using the word "gay" pejoratively is probably wrong.

I am sure that the 12 year old in me will almost certainly take over from time to time, and I will use the word "gay" when I should not. I know myself too well to think that I am going to change my regrettable speech patterns overnight.

And sometimes, the word just seems to fit in a conversation, as a blunt and clumsy way to express an attempt at humor. When that happens, I am sure that I will let the "gay" word slip.

But, overall, I am coming to the conclusion that using the word "gay" pejoratively is a really gay thing to do.

No comments: