Monday, August 20, 2007

My CD Collection is Shiny and Costly

I'm getting married in November, so when my fiance's lease ended at the beginning of August she moved into my house. For the past couple of weeks we've been unpacking her stuff and re-arranging the house to fit all of her things (Thank God for the garage or all the stuff wouldn't fit. And even then...).

When we started unpacking all of her media (books, movies and CD's) I had a strange thought when we got to her CD collection. Here's how the conversation went:

ME: Is it alright if we don't mix our CD's when we get to organizing them?

HER (What she said aloud): OK
(What she was thinking): Dear God, run! Before it's too late!

Now I had no problem mixing our movies or books together. And it's not that I think she listens to bad music. She actually listens to great music (a lot of it overlaps come to think of it). For better or worse though I pretty much remember when I bought all of my CD's. I also remember what mood I was in and what I was doing when I first listened to each of my CD's. I think that I have too much of an emotional attachment to my music collection and it would feel weird if someone elses music were sitting next to it.

But that's the whole point of getting married in the first place. You give up the "me" and the "my" and you replace it with "we" and "our". So I think I'll mix our CD's together. I can still look at my CD's to remind me where I've been. And I can see her CD's next to mine and realize where I currently am. And I'd much rather have her in my life than have separate CD collections and a bunch of dead memories.

(I didn't mean to get all sappy at the end of this post but it seemed to write itself).

Footnote: There's also an unofficial competition between Babar, our friend (let's call him) Mot and myself to see who has the biggest CD collection. And even though I wouldn't count her CD's in the total, it still seems like cheating.

1 comment:

Curt said...

I missed this post somehow. I'm the official loser in the cd race for a while. I've bought 1 cd in the last 2 months, and that looks like the rate at which I'll continue for a while. Broke sucks.