Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cover This!

I was listening to the radio the other and The Black Crowes came on the radio. It was the millionth time they've played Hard to Handle. I've always liked that song better than the original version by Otis Redding. It got me thinking about other cover songs I think are better than the original. In no particular order.

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Live and Let Die - Guns 'N Roses
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

I don't know if it's better but I also really like Cakes cover of War Pigs.

Feel free to leave your favorite covers in the comments. Any mention of The Dave Matthews Band will get you banned from making comments for a month however.

3 comments:

Curt said...

Yea, I know the DMB comment was leveled directly at me. Ironically, I'm not even that big of a fan. I just don't dislike them as much as you. My humble submission isn't "better than the original" so much as just a damn good cover song. 'Sweet Dreams' by Marilyn Manson. I can't give it better status, because I love the Eurythmics track. Marilyn did it justice though.

sauce said...

I gotta disagree with smooth criminal and blinded by the light. Both originals are superior. Jackson's just because, hey, that's his song. Also, Springsteen's is great, esp. since he got all of the words right.

Joan Jett's I love rock and roll is also a cover...
I still think Skynyrd's versions of Call me the breeze and Crossroads are awesome.

Babar said...

between otis redding and devo, there are two covers of "(i can't get no) satisfaction" that i prefer to the stones' version.
golden smog did a kick ass version of the faces' "glad and sorry."
and i love warren zevon's version of "raspberry beret," though i am hard-pressed to say it exceeds the purple one.