Wednesday, September 5, 2007

But now that I think about it, Drew Weatherford and the Detroit Shock have a LOT in common.

I have been post-free for a few days, so I am making up for lost time.

One of the reasons I have neglected my duties as a blogger has been the amazing sports weekend I just enjoyed. That's right, Labor Day weekend. Which means, as it does every year, the WNBA finals.

Bet the house on the Detroit Shock. They play defense and know the true meaning of DEE-TROIT basketball.

Of course, if you haven't angrily turned your computer off at the thought of reading a WNBA post, relax. I am speaking, of course, of the return of college football. A few thoughts...

1. How Bout Them Dawgs! Stafford looked great (75% completion, almost 10 yards per attempt, no turnovers). The defense looked like it could be something special, especially considering that Ok State ran up video game stats on offense last year. I am thinking it is going to be a great year between the hedges.

2. Freaking Soft University... FSU looked terrible in their matchup against Clemson. Kind of makes you long for the days when you had someone to hate down in Tallahassee. A Georgia fan might gloat that they have not been good since their OC traveled north to Athens. Tommy Bowden may well regret having this game so early on his schedule, though... Now he won't be able to save his job during an underachieving season by beating his pop. By the time Clemson starts to suck come November, this win will be but a distant memory.

3. Illinois-Missouri. Two crappy teams that I should care nothing about. But I was thoroughly entertained by their matchup. On a tape-delay replay, no less. A furious comeback by Illinois, cut short at the last minute. Great game.

4. Beware Georgia Tech. I know Notre Dame is probably going to suck this year. But the kind of whupping the Rambling Wreck put on them is no joke. If anyone but Chan Gailey were their coach, I would be worried.

5. Nice stats from the golden boys of the Big East. I saw parts of the Louisville game. That passing attack is going to be hard for anyone to beat.

6. There is no point trying to say something witty about Michigan. A top-5 team with National Title aspirations should not lose to a I-AA school. Ever. Every Big 10 team is suspect, by mere association.

Next week is going to be awesome, with Spurrier coming to Athens. Here's hoping the Bulldogs remind the Ol Ball Coach that you can't spell "suck" without "USC."

No comments: