Friday, September 28, 2007

I am indeed ready for some football

1. I am going to the UGA-Ole Miss game this weekend. I am very excited. However, I feel like I need to note that I do fear this is a classic trap game. I worry that the Dawgs probably spent the first part of the week patting themselves on the back for a job well done in Tuscaloosa, and the second part of the week gearing up for the Volunteers on October 5. Let's hope they prove me wrong. Or, alternatively, that Ole Miss proves so inept that it does not matter.

2. I have been reading The Blind Side by Moneyball author Michael Lewis. Great read. The book analyzes the evolution of the left tackle position- how it went from just another faceless position to an indispensable component of a successful football team. I recommend the book highly.

In The Blind Side, Lewis illustrates his analysis with the tale of Ole Miss left tackle Michael Oher. Consequently, this weekend in Sanford, I will be eager to watch this building of a young man in action.

3. I saw extensive coverage of a high school football game on Sportscenter today. Not just a score, or a "Plays of the Day" replay of a remarkable play. But a full game breakdown, with highlights and stats. That seems messed pretty messed up to me. Ever since LeBron James made it profitable, ESPN has been showcasing younger and younger athletes, and featuring games involving younger and younger teams. Which sometimes can be interesting, but more often is completely obnoxious.

Next thing you know, they'll be showing Little Leaguers.

4. Two weeks later, I would like to officially welcome Georgia back to the SEC East race. I was writing them off (loudly and angrily) after the South Carolina game, but the Dawgs are now one Gamecocks loss away from controlling their own destiny again. Which, in a way, is all you can ask for. Until the week after the Florida game, anyway.

5. Penn State lost to Michigan. What a showcase of suckitude for the Big Ten.

6. App. State lost to Wofford. Which presumably means that Wofford can beat Penn State. Once this season is over, I am sure there is going to be an awesome Slippery Rock story, wherein some school like North Suburban gets a top-25 vote for being the team that beat the team... that beat the team... that beat the Big 10 champion.

7. In hindsight, it sure was stupid to believe the Falcons had a shot this year, and not because they lost Michael Vick. Rather, the Falcons switched this year from a zone blocking scheme (using smaller more mobile linemen), to a more traditional alignment. Of course that is going to result in some situations where their undersized OL is overmatched. No wonder Joey Jo Jo is doing his best David Carr impersonation this year.

8. Brett Fav-ruh and the Green Bay Packers are a feel-good story. It is nice to see Favre back on top. But we should have seen it coming to a certain extent. Even if I did not think they were going to go 3-0, we should have expected to see them in the playoffs. Just look at the other teams in the division. One is QBed by Tavaris Jackson, and another is QBed by their coaches' choice of whoever sucks less between Rex Grossman and Brian Griese. The other team is (still) the Detroit Lions.

9. After this past weekend, I am more convinced than ever that every football announcer on TV sucks. There are exceptions, but as a group they bring nothing to the table.

10. I am even more stoked for football now that the Braves have finally been eliminated. Their little run at the end made it interesting, but they were mediocre for too long to have come as close as they did. At least the Mets are looking like they might wind up watching the playoffs on TV. And unlike Braves fans, Mets fans (John Knight aside) don't have college football to occupy their time after their baseball team is eliminated.

11. This is only tangentially related to college football, but I love that the "Don't tase me, bro" guy is from U of F. Incidentally, if my colleague and I had started this exercise in narcissism that is a blog today, I would have pushed strongly for "Don't tase me, bro" as the blog title.

No comments: