Monday, September 10, 2007

This Post is Brought to You by Campbell Select

Why do I think John Lithgow is a good actor? Here are the movies and TV Shows I've seen him in.

1. Santa Claus: The Movie - A Dudley Moore Vehicle

2. Harry and the Hendersons - A bad family film that I enjoyed as a child

3. L.A. Story - A good movie but I don't remember him being in it.

4. Raising Cain - A terrible horror movie about an evil twin

5. Cliffhanger - Now here is the movie I associate with him. It's a pretty awesome movie, mainly for the fact that Sly Stallone is at his 'roided-out best and Lithgow speaks with the most ridiculous accent I've ever heard. It's really hard to describe. It's like a mix between a British accent and a generic eastern bloc accent. His performance is so over the top that it probably ruined any chance of him taking on a serious role ever again.

6. Pelican Brief - A boring John Grisham adaptation.

7. Shrek - Pretty fun turn as Lord Farquaad

8. 3rd Rock from the Sun - The other role I think about when I think of him. I actually liked the first season of this show but overall it was a really bad show.

So the two roles I most associate with John Lithgow are his parts in a bad Sylvester Stallone movie and a bad NBC Sitcom. And I still think he's a good actor. I know he's been nominated for a couple of Oscars and some a Tony or two but I've never seen any of those performances. So this is one of those things that I don't understand but I just have to accept.

3 comments:

Huevos McGringo said...

he was the dad in footloose, and the stodgy judge in a civil action. also liked his turn as the antagonist in ricochet, really liked that flick as a lad.

Babar said...

"Harry and the Hendersons" bad? What are you talking about?

Brian said...

Huevos,

I started to post a defense of Lithgow by pointing out Ricochet, but then I realized that I didn't have very high standards for acting in action movies when I was 14. Hell, I don't know.